Awesome Climate Research (ACR)
A curated list of awesome things related to climate research
Contributions are very welcome. Please provide suggestions :)
If you’d like to suggest modifications (e.g. resource addition, deletion, new categories etc.), please be sure to do so by opening pull requests (check here if you don’t know what it is) or create issues (check here if you don’t know how to do).
Note: If you don’t use Github, you can also provide feedback using this form.
This list is not supposed to be comprehensive. It is curated and only focuses on “awesome” content, i.e. the goal of this list is to have a low noise-to-signal ratio.
Surely, “awesomeness” can be subjective, but some basic rules can be applied to know what is worth listing or not, for instance:
- Is this resource/project truly informative/improving on the status quo?
- Would the community benefit from knowing this resource?
- Is this resource well written/implemented?
- Awesome Climate Research (ACR)
- Climate Change Laws of the World Database, by the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment
- Climate Law Blog by the Sabin Center for Climate Change Law, Columbia Law School
- Stanford Environmental Law Journal (Archives), by Stanford Law School
- Essential Readings in Environmental Law, by the IUCN Academy of Environmental Law
- The Economic Diplomacy of Geoengineering, by Thomas C. Schelling
- The Paradox of Climate Engineering, by Michael Zürn and Stefan Schäfer
- Disentangling the rhetoric of public goods from their externalities: The case of climate engineering, by Robert Holahan and Prakash Kashwan
- Geoengineering Monitor / Geoengineering Map, by ETC Group and the Heinrich Boell Foundation
- Fuel To The Fire, How Geoengineering Threatens to Entrench Fossil Fuels and Accelerate the Climate Crisis, by the Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL)
- Engineering Solar Radiation Is a Crazy Idea, by Intelligence Squared U.S. Debates
- Geoengineering websites, by Geoengineering global
- STERN REVIEW: The Economics of Climate Change (UK National Archives)
- Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy (CCCEP)
- Research & Degrowth
- Integrated Assessment Models of Climate Change, by William Nordhaus
- Doughnut Economics / Doughnut (economic model)
Climate computing and modeling
- Unidata software (Github)
- Climate Modelling Alliance (Github), by the California Institute of Technology
- EO learn: Earth observation processing framework for machine learning in Python, by SentinelHub
- SciTools (Github): Open tools for the analysis and visualisation of Earth science data
- MODFLOW 6: USGS Modular Hydrologic Model
- PySolar (Github): Python libraries for simulating the irradiation of any point on earth by the sun
- PySTEPS (Github): Python library for probabilistic precipitation nowcasting
- LandLab (Github): Python package for numerical modeling of Earth surface dynamics
- Climate4R: R Framework for Climate Data Access and Post-processing, by the Santander Meteorology Group (UC-CSIC)
- Earth System Modeling Framework (Github): Suite of software tools for developing high-performance, multi-component Earth science modeling applications.
- Veros: The versatile ocean simulator, by the Niels Bohr Institute, University of Copenhagen
- Energy Exascale Earth System Model (Github)
- Earth System Community Modeling Portal, by the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research
- Climlab: Python package for process-oriented climate modeling
- Open Global Glacier Model (Github): Open source glacier model in Python
- OpenDrift: Open source framework for ocean trajectory modelling
- ESMValTool (Github): Community diagnostics and performance metrics tool for the evaluation of Earth System Models (ESMs)
- Oce (Github): R package for oceanographic processing
- CliMT: Climate Modelling and Diagnostics Toolkit. Python library which provides a modular and intuitive approach to writing numerical models of the climate system.
- Maja: Atmospheric correction and cloud screening software (Level-2A)
- ParFlow (Github): Numerical model that simulates the hydrologic cycle from the bedrock to the top of the plant canopy
- Isca (Github): Framework for the construction of models of the global circulation of the atmosphere of Earth and other planets, usable in Python.
- GEOSX: Framework focused on enabling streamlined development of physics simulations on high performance computing platforms.
- MITgcm (Github): Numerical model designed for study of the atmosphere, ocean, and climate.
- Parallel Ice Sheet Model (PISM) (Github): Open-source modelling framework for ice sheets and glaciers
- Joint Global Change Research Institute
Space Physics: Space Physics modeling and analysis
- LOWTRAN: Atmospheric absorption extinction, scatter and irradiance model
Looking for more awesomeness?
- Awesome Open Atmospheric, Ocean, and Climate Science
- Awesome Open Geoscience
- Open Sustainable Technology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.